Thursday, June 21, 2007

For the Love of Starbucks...Ratatouille

I don't care one iota about what people say. I like my Starbucks. Specifically, although I have no business purchasing $3.80 coffee - a grande, sugar free hazelnut, non-fat latte, with 2 splenda is good for the soul. I think, when made correctly, it has the power to genuinely alter your day. If it has the required service and the atmosphere of making you feel as if it is the most important drink made in the entire day - I save have it. Heck, if you can afford it, and you skipped the 500 calorie cold treat, I say you deserve a prize.

Yesterday, while at Starbucks (armed with a gift card) I encountered Sneak Preview passes for the movie, Ratatouille. I was going to pick up my kids that had been in the care of a good friend, and I was picking up her favorite drink as a way to say thank you. Her drink is an entirely different story - diva at its worst. But she's worth it.

So the passes were an "admit 2 free" for tonight's preview of Ratatouille. Kidlets ages 7, 5 and 3 have been on a roller coaster of "inexpensive" Summer treats, and we've had our good days and our bad. I didn't put my hopes up as there are usually way more passes than seats and although we try hard we are are rarely more than 20 minutes early. It was loosely in the back of my mind but I hadn't even told the kids.

Fast forward to the short version. I had a difficult start to my morning. In the process, I decided to spend $2.00 hard to come by "mommy dollars" on a iced tea at Starbucks. My great hope of the morning was that one of my giftcards had enough to make my purchase a few pennies at best. I hit the JACKPOT! A card with a $16 balance from I don't even know when. I took it as a divine sign.

Armed with renewed energy - we went to library programs, read 10 books, went to Tae Kwon Do, and I packed a bag of snacks, and we headed to the theater. I know they could have easily harassed me about my book bag of a purse - but not a peep. As long as I wasn't taping the movie - I was fine. We arrived in time to get good seats, the kids thoroughly enjoyed the movie, only one bathroom interruption, Lay's baked chip snacks, and......walaa. Reason 456B why I love Starbucks - first, Akeelah and the Bee, now family entertainment for 4 (dad worked late) yippee!!

In case you want to ask about my $3.80 drink, it would have cost $38.00 to take 4 people to an evening movie with snacks and beverages and I am so sure that I came out on top. Now, if you calculate what I have spent in my lifetime on Starbucks, without owning stock - well Ratatouille on you.

A simple tale of a rat who wanted to be a chef, friendship tests, complex worlds, a heartfelt desire to be more, living up to expectations - or the lack thereof in your life, the tagline that "Anyone can be a (you fill in the blank kid lesson)" , and wonderful graphics of Paris that make we want to go even more - priceless. Well, in this case $3.80. Now, I might ask why this animated kids film needed two kissing scenes, but some reviewer will nail them for it. (Please.) Good entertainment, and their brand loyalty is safe on me, at least for the remaining balance of the many cards that are in my home. I am so glad people that love me support my addiction so well...they should be happy to know, upon occasion, it blesses the entire family.

No comments: