Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Little Pushes

" I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker." ~ Helen Keller

I could easily slip into a feeling of woulda and coulda today, shoulda has already been hanging out for a few days. But instead, I say, here's to the little pushes. If there is never a great and noble task completed at my hand, I will rejoice in a variety of small things that would never happen with out me.

My little pushes over the last few days include:
  • Emergency doctor for the latest ouchie for the little guy
  • A friend to someone who really needed it
  • Clean laundry for 5 people, even though they did not assist in the task
  • A mini-calligraphy lesson for the daughter of a friend who squealed w/me about a boy she likes
  • Popsicles for the next door neighbors kids and mine too
  • Collection of our library books to be returned
  • Delayed gratification in a purchase that means I saved our family money
  • Blogging with a comment left - yippee I reached someone, a READER!
  • The island in my kitchen will be all clean, after I get done typing
  • I found the sword for Leonardo the turtle
  • I contacted a client with leads for their work
  • I forwarded several leads for a friend who is a life coach
  • I walked this morning while I watched gymnastics
  • and so.........the little pushes are defined not by the great and noble tasks, but the dignity with which we do all things. Weeding my garden, conserving water as I brush my teeth, a welcoming and clean home for my family, 20 letters mailed this week to say thank you, I miss you , Happy Birthday...and everything in between.
Here is to your little pushes!

No comments: