Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Color of Tears

Racial dynamics in our non-diverse neighborhood and private school have been very interesting as of late. With the Jena 6 and the community dynamics along racial lines, it seems that everywhere I turned there was something coming up about race in America. I listen to NPR on a regular basis and whenever I hear about the state of affairs internationally, I wonder what is going on right here. With kids 8, 5 and 3 it has been sad to even think about. Until today.

I attend a weekly Bible Study with a diverse group of women. I'm a new member and I was wondering about our connectivity, our differences really. Then today, when we were sharing our "stories" of significance about our relationship with God I realized something. The color of tears is universal. We are more alike than we are unalike. Even when things seem so different between us, at least for the women in my prayer circle, the color of our tears connects us deeply.

No comments: